Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX firewall logging on linux using syslog

From: 1337 h4x0r <scouser () paradise net nz>
Date: 11 Sep 2002 00:00:05 +1200

Syslog is a fine tool
however there are better options these days.
I like syslog-ng, it has many useful features particularly if you are in
a busy/important network ( aren't we all)
You can log using tcp rather than udp (dont you just love UDP dropping
packets when it's buffers are full during say a nice DDOS!) , it has
better and more flexible filtering rules etc..
Easy logging to databases rather than flat files (eg MySQL) although I
have not tried this myself it sounds useful. (speed of logging and also
flexible querying)
There is coming support for message integrity and encryption !
And last but not least it is a great deal more stable than syslogd which
I have found to be a bit flakey in the past (mainly on Sun hardware ;-)

Your milage as ever may vary and there are other good products out there
(I just haven't tried em ;-)

James