Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: pix 515 failover

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:30:58 -0400

--On Friday, September 06, 2002 9:58 AM +0800 barry <Barry.Haycock () b-online com au> wrote:

i can setup the failover no problems but my question is
when the pix fails over does the second one assume the ip address
assigned to the interface on the primary or does it use the address
assigned under the failover command for that interface.

if the interface assumes the address assigned under the failover command
how does one go about routing from a router etc to the firewall??

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain the the standby PIX assumes both the IP and MAC addresses of the active PIX during failover. I think it also does a gratuitous ARP to update the CAM tables in the switches.

A simple network capture would answer this for certain.

--
Carson