Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NTLM authentication from DMZ

From: Jan van Rensburg <jan.van.rensburg () epiuse com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:27:07 +0200

A related question I've sometimes wondered about, is where is the best place to put a company's Exchange server. Let us assume that the Exchange server is part of the normal company domain, so that you only have one authentication database to deal with. The second assumption is that people will access their Exchange mail remotely from the Internet. Now the obvious answer to this is a VPN, but lets assume that this is not possible.

The two options left is:
1. Place the exchange server in the DMZ, but that would require a whole lot of ports open between the LAN and DMZ for the authentication to work. 2. Place it on the LAN, but that would require opening ports from the Internet to your LAN.

Which of the two is worse? Any other (non VPN) alternatives?

Jan van Rensburg