Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Exposed serial connection

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 06:29:22 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Sep 2002, Jonas Anden wrote:

I need to expose a sensitive serial port to a remote site through IP.

To get from a serial protocol to IP, you want to do a Google search on
"serial tunneling."  You may get further hits with "Serial-to-Ethernet"
and "RS232-to-Ethernet" (assuming the serial protocol you're converting
is RS232.)

The protocol used on the serial line is text based with some control
bytes and totally unauthenticated. Are there any applicances recommended
that can perform the following:

- Encrypting the IP connection (Preferably SSL)
- Provide for authentication (Preferably outside the protocol sphere,
like SSL client certificates).
- Convert the data received on the IP end and send it out on the serial
line, and vice versa.

You'll need a serial tunneling device at each end (pretty sure you can do
it on Cisco routers, but it might need a breakout box for signaling.)
Once the traffic is IP, you can push it through any authenticating pipe
you want.

Sorry I don't have any particular info on tunnels that natively support
SSL, it's been a while since I did Datacomm.

HTH,

Paul