Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: firewall-wizards digest, Vol 1 #679 - 2 msgs

From: "Larry Wilson" <lwilson () theoffice net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:04:26 +1000

The options mentioned so far are quite valid dependent of functionality of
the firewalls and a firewall that can be managed with central policies would
accomplish this readily. However, there is also another option that can be
considered. This is using a single DMZ (simple firewall) for the servers
with a centrally managed, policy driven crypto VPN solution that is a host
to host VPN engine. This would allow a set of rules to be set up to
determine what can talk to what, based on IP, subnet or range and is easily
reconfigurable. Therefore, if there is a VPN rule that defines host A can
talk to host B & C, then that is all that *can* happen. Not even a ping will
work from anywhere else. There is also a good audit capability as well, if
needed.

OK! Your probably wondering what I am going on about. I have used a solution
that is fairly unique called NetLock (www.netlock.com/products/index.html).
Have a read there that will explain better than I probably can.

BTW I have no relationship with Netlock Technologies, only have used the
solution.

Hope this information is of use to you.

Larry Wilson