Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Too Paranoid?

From: Mark Tinberg <mtinberg () securepipe com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 02:38:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

Even if they tunneled well, I'd still want the thing cordoned off from my
internal network and forced to talk nicely with the specific desktop
clients.

I agree, stick the W2K server in its own network with no access to the
internal network and limited access to just the machines on the Internet
required for the service to function.  I would also say that as ActiveX is
against your policy, and you are worried about the integrity of your users'
workstations, that you think about installing the client component on a
terminal server of some kind.  This could be MS Terminal Services, Citrix,
VNC or more UNIX centric software like Win4Lin, VMWare or WINE/X.

The "client" machine (terminal server) can have its configuration heavily
controlled and also needs no access into the protected network.  The
security risk to your internal machines then comes only through the
terminal client software itself which is more under your control.  I think
that this is a good way to keep all that "special" client software and its
associated problems off of your working desktop machines where security
and configuration control are already hard enough.

--
Mark Tinberg <MTinberg () securepipe com>
Network Security Engineer, SecurePipe Inc.

        Your daily fortune . . .

With a gentleman I try to be a gentleman and a half, and with a fraud I
try to be a fraud and a half.
                -- Otto von Bismark