Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Interlopers on the WLAN

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:54:14 -0800

On 6 Nov 2002 at 19:24, Frank O'Dwyer boldly uttered:

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 10:29, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
[...]
Mitnick was arrested while running over a stolen cellphone and
traversing a chain of at least 3-4 different networks to slow down
attempts to find him.  If he were doing this over someone's open WLAN
while parked on the street out front, all he'd need to do is drive
away and it would be next to impossible to find him.
True, but equally he might have tossed the cellphone out the window and
driven off into the sunset.

There's a big difference here: cellphone's are trackable to a
cellsite and a location in realtime, but since WLANs are not
centrally managed by a technically clueful organization (cellphone
carrier) there is little or no oversight in many cases for
interlopers.

The impression of WLAN anonymity may be just
as false. While someone is connected to a WLAN, they are certainly
revealing *something* about their location. Maybe a lot. If it's
possible to get a few arrests based on that fact then that may adjust
the attitudes of the attackers.

Given all the essentially unmanaged open WLANs (I'd surmise that the
vast majority of "open" WLANs are poorly managed and unsupervised,
for obvious reasons) then I do think there's a very big problem that
doesn't exist for ie cellular networks.

Otherwise we may be stuck with one of two fairly ugly scenarios:
plausible deniability for Harry Hacker ("it wasn't me, someone must have
used my open WLAN"), or Harry Homeowner made liable for everything
originating from his connection.

Personally I favor the latter example, since one should take
responsibility for one's actions - in this case, operating an
insecure network.

This is a kind of 'blame the victim' approach. It would also be
deeply hypocritical of the one bringing the charges, i.e. the
targets of the attack. After all, theirs may be the only network
that was actually breached. How can they prosecute someone else
for "operating an insecure network", all on the basis that their
own flaky network just got turned over, without blatantly
admitting that they operate an insecure network themselves?

Not sure who you're referring to: if a hacker hops on an insecure
WLAN and causes damage to some other site by DoS'ing it for example,
who's at fault - the commercial site that the hacker attacks, the
operator of the insecure WLAN, or the hacker?  I say 1) the hacker
and to a lesser extent 2) the operator of the insecure WLAN.
Certainly not the final victim of the attack.  In this particular
case the WLAN was "used", not "damaged" per-se.

I can't think of any reasonable definition of "operating an
insecure network" that doesn't apply first and foremost to the
target of any successful attack. OTOH, I can think of at least
two reasonable definitions that *don't* necessarily apply to
an open access point.

There are various attacks (ie DDoS attacks) that are next-to-
impossible to mitigate simply by network security.  It's a global
ISP/backbone problem.  While you might be able to harden your
network/hosts so that they don't die under such an attack, your
connectivity can be decimated with little you can do about it from
your end, and the end-result is the same as if your hosts died - your
users can't access your resources.

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist () ekahuna com