Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and 802.1q trunking

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:40:12 -0500

My personal philosophy is that VLAN trunks are OK within a risk zone, but not between them. This is the usual risk / reward tradeoff. VLAN trunks trade expensive or non-available firewall ports for cheap and plentiful switch ports, with the risk being an attack on the switch. I'm willing to make that tradeoff to some extent, but not to the point of having everything connected to one switch, and relying entirely on the switch to provide separation.

The sticky bit is, how do you divide your zones by risk? At a bare minimum, I put Internet, DMZ, and internal segments on different physical switches. If there are third party external non-Internet links, I'd like those to be seperate as well. If I have firewall ports left, I like to break up the DMZs into authenticated / non-authenticated, front-end / back-end, inbound / outbound, or by operational criteria such as maintenance widows (very useful with virtual firewalls) - the specifics are usually site specific.

--
Carson