Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Outlook Web Access - Paranoid?

From: "Symon Thurlow" <sthurlow () webvein com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:57:08 -0000

Well, you could have a multi tiered approach, IE have 2 DMZ segments
(separate from each other) and have your reverse proxy exposed to the
Internet in one DMZ segment, then get your reverse proxy to talk to an
IIS (or front end EX2K server) in the other DMZ segment, which then
talks to your Exchange server internally (all through your Firewall(s)).

This means that the proxy has only 80 and 443 exposed to the web, your
IIS server only has 80 and 443 exposed to the proxy, and your exchange
server(s)/Domain controller(s) only have their souls exposed to the IIS
server.

It would be reasonably difficult for an intruder to get access to the
IIS server (IMHO).

OWA has excellent functionality, especially in EX2K, unfortunately using
EX2K front end servers requires almost unlimited access to all your key
servers, and that just sucks.

Symon