Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Inspecting routers

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:38:52 +0800

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:22:57PM -0800, Kyle R. Hofmann wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:20:49 +0100, Lorens Kockum wrote:
You said only 80 and 443, that's incoming, can the webservers
initiate connections to the outside?  If they can, stateful
filtering on the external router could maybe be a good idea.

Even if they can, should they?  I can't think of a compelling reason for them
to be initiating connections to the outside world, but I don't know how
they're setup.

One example is a web application that "aggregates content" available
elsewhere, say, raw data feed sold by Reuters and the like.

The alternative to web or application servers connecting outwards is some
kind of multi-tier architecture with fancy routing and firewalling to suck
such data from somewhere else and pump them into the web farm, typically
thru some mega-buck "content management" system. I've seen such attempts -
mind-boggling, they are.

Ahh, those dot.com days...

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com> * http://www.netmemetic.com