Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port numbers for Peer to Peer file sharing apps.

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:58:03 +0100

Mark Whobrey wrote:

I am trying to find a list of ports used by the most common p2p file
sharing applications.

There's a fairly comprehensive list at:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

But, as someone else said, there's also several that will use
ports like 80, 21, 25, and some systems that allow changing the
port numbers manually, which I have seen heaps of clued users
doing (and, of course, the not-so-clued users doing a couple of
days/weeks later).

This all makes me want to start my "don't do app-specific shaping
on public networks" rant again, but I won't. I'll just point you
at my previous rant:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewall-wizards&m=103652075227472&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=firewall-wizards&m=103659628332470&w=2

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden