Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: screen and choke network config

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:20:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Dave Piscitello wrote:

I have just upgraded from a lame DSL bridged configuration to
a routed configuration.

I have an access router that can packet filter.

Behind this I have a public IP subnet on which I run between
4-6 firewalls and VPN appliances.

I'd like to process all syslog messages from the access router
and firewalls at a server behind one of the firewalls, and so would
open 514 inbound on the firewall (for a list of FWs), and block
514 inbound on the access router. This is done and is working
nicely.

I realized looking through my logs that I can save duplicate log
entries if I packet filter annoying inbound TCP/UDP/ICMP types
at the access router. Since all the firewalls will have a default
deny all inbound policy (except the one firewall that allows http),
I'd set the access router in an inverse manner
to "allow anything but stuff I don't want duplicate log entries for".

I wonder what beyond the following list you might add. These
are the ports I most frequently see in my last 3 months' logs...

23 telnet
69 tftp
79 finger
111 sunrpc
137, 138, 139 msft noiseBOIS
161, 162 snmp, trap
194 irc
512-514 remote exec, login, shell

depending upon the OS's you are running, port 111 might not be ehough to
block.  I have a linux system, that after a number of reboots I have been
able to glean these related ports, tcp/udp require some blocking:

rpc1="111 635 680 683 684 686 687 698 699"
rpc2="700 701 702 703 704 886 887 889 2049"

additionally, I block these specifics, due to a number of other OS's
including windows or various versions inside:

nbios="135:139"

winfr="1080 1090 1433 1900 5000"

Of course, due to other problems and to track scans I also block these:

lownast="7 19 59 79 107 177 161 162 445 515"

hinast="12345 12346 16660 18753 20034 20433 24452 27347 31337"

tellog="23 513 514"

ftpc="21"
ftpd="20"

xwin="6000:6010"

ssh is only allowed now inside from specific hosts, and adds a tad bit of
control over those allowed to connect to machines behind the perimiter.

I have additional specific blocks placed for certain machines for specific
services I only allow to the insie network too..  But, always for full
safe measures I block the tcp as well as the udp counter parts of ports,
unless there's a specific reason not to.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

I still want to see how my doorknob's being rattled, I just
want to minimize the number of times I see any individual "rattle".

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
3 Myrtle Bank Lane
Hilton Head, SC 29926
dave () corecom com
843.689.5595
www.corecom.com
hhi.corecom.com/~yodave/

--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!