Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: "Stiennon,Richard" <richard.stiennon () gartner com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 13:37:52 -0500

Whoa guys, I think you are way off base here.

Intrusion prevention is distinct from "Firewalling + anti-virus". Firewalls
are access control devices that apply a set of rules (filters) based on
source, destination, and service (port number). Oh, OK, you can get more
granular and have rules based on time of day, authentication, etc.

The technology introduced by OneSecure, Tippingpoint, and Intruvert in
recent weeks is way different. They have expanded the concept of stateful
inspection to help with the through-put issue. Instead of attempting to do a
100% comparison of every signature with every packet they only compare
relevant portions of a stream to relevant signatures.

When a match is made (or an anomaly detected) the device just drops the
session. There is no rule added that blocks access from a source. You could
hack away at my web server all day from AOL and I would drop your attempts
(those using known hacks) while still allowing all of AOL to see my web
pages.

Host hardening systems from the likes of Okena, and Entercept are different
from Firewalls + AV too.

This is a sea change in defensive technologies folks. It breaks away from
the more-better-faster IDS camp.

-Stiennon