Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

State of Security

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:51:33 -0500

All,

I've been asked to speak before an executive audience (C*Os)
about the state of security. The group that's invited me wants
some data points for these folks, i.e., whether security is
improved/same, etc.

The problem I am having with all the material I've so far
encountered is that it's been provided by (you bet) C*Os.

If you would be kind enough to email a direct response
to the following statements (plenty for C*Os to digest), I'll
post the summary results to the list.

I've actually asked permission, not forgiveness.
Marcus has agreed to let me post, so PLEASE let me
summarize the results before we discuss on the list so
we don't run amok?

I appreciate that the questions are not specific. They are
only intended to help frame the presentation for the C*Os

Disclosure: I won't be paid for this presentation.

1: Our organizations' network security is better than it was prior to 911 (Y or N)

2: We have purchased and use better and more security technology than we
did prior to 911

Better (Y or N)
More (Y or N)

3: Our security posture is more proactive today than 6 months ago (Y or N)

4: Our organization acknowledges the importance of security and
has

a) revised policy accordingly (Y or N)
b) increased funding for security (Y or N)
c) made corresponding changes to our security services (Y or N)

5: Business continuity and disaster avoidance planning
has received the most attention and funding (Y or N)

6: The concern with business continuity and disaster avoidance
has diverted attention and funding from other security issues (Y or N)

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
The Internet Security Conference
3 Myrtle Bank Lane