Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: how to determine whether a firewall is stateful

From: firewalls () msg net
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:19:04 -0600 (CST)

Even easier, run nmap -p0 -sA ... from the public towards on server on the
private side (like an internal web server). Nmap will send a TCP ACK
without an established connection. If you received a RST packet, you are
not stateful.

When we first came up with ISIC I worked on this issue with several of my
'firewall wrecking crew' buddies, and found several cases where ACK would
be blocked, but other strange packets would leak.

Else, you are at least keeping one state.

But, being stateful at layer 4 is more complex than that: do you check
sequence number ? what about IP fragmentation ?

and what about L7 states ?

There is no easy answer

It is a difficult problem.

Mike Scher (Neohapsis) has developed software for testing the 'statefulness'
of a stateful inspection firewall, and published their test results for a
number of firewalls.

The Network Computing article is reproduced here:

http://cnscenter.future.co.kr/resource/security/firewall/1223f2_file.pdf

Kevin Kadow