Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: XML tag encryption?

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:53:43 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Roger Marquis, sie wrote:
There's an article in the May 27 Computerword entitled "XML's Dirty
Secret".  It's labeled a Technical Analysis but written more like
an advertisement for the Forum Sentry Server Appliance (www.forumsys.com).
This is a Linux-based network device that apparently encrypts and
decrypts XML tags (not the data, just the tags).

It's an interesting application but one that wouldn't seem to offer
any substantive benefit over other types of encryption (VPN, file,
content, ...).  The xml-dev list is divided on the issue
<http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200205/msg01412.html>.

Is this another dot-com bomb or might XML be a potential security
product niche?

I can think of why you might want to do this.

It allows you to exchange data with something else through another
something that analyses the network traffic created as a result of
the exchange without giving away the true meaning of the data.

If I give you a spreadsheet of figures in XML, what any of those
figures mean is lost if you scramble the column names and other
random text tags, right ?

One example I can think of is if you wanted to scan XML content for
viruses/worms without a complete compromise of the data, this might
allow for that.

Darren