Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: W2K Schema Master in the DMZ?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:35:04 +0200

david singleton wrote:

The question that intersts me is, does the firewall community think
internal (non-Internet) users are hacking the internal W2K DCs?

Definately.  In my experience, with any organization larger than
twenty users, you can't be certain that there aren't one or two
less-than-friendly people.  When you pass fifty, you can almost
be certain that there is.  Add to that the recklessly clueless
and the cluelessly reckless that you get in basically any size
organization, and you get trojan threats, etc...

(Of course, I generally get involved in fairly paranoid installs,
so what I consider a great risk may not apply to you :))

If so how should we protect them?

Now _there_ is a good question. I just re-read the page that I
referred to, and... well, I don't see how you can actually
protect the schema masters beyond how you protect admin accounts
and controllers in general.  If one gets compromised, it'd seem
that there's basically nothing you can do to prevent the breach
from spreading throughout the entire organization... which
proves me right when I demanded that our devel network be
completely separated from the main network all those years ago :)

Now, if you set up a forest that doesn't actually DO anything,
and then set up a bunch of domains that only trust the forest,
I suppose you could actually achieve something approaching
useful separation (as far as non-admins are concerned), but
the question is how much work it'd be, and if it's actually
worth it.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden