Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: dirty packet tricks?

From: Barney Wolff <barney () tp databus com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:55:27 -0400

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem correctly, but why can't a
box with the standard (for FreeBSD) ipfw/natd combo do what you
want? Let there be a router with a /32 route to the target via one
interface of the box and the other interface be connected to the
firewall.  All packets from inside to 16.67.32.1 flow through the
NAT box on the way to the firewall.  Packets going the other way
go to the outside interface of the box and get de-NAT'd, then flow
to the real inside destination.  If the firewall is not under your
control, the packets can be re-merged in a second router before
reaching the firewall.  If you can't control the inside routing,
how could you ever force packets to come to your box in the first
place?

Since the firewall is NATing, packets will get NAT'd twice.  So?