Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strong passwords

From: miha () nil si
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:37:18 +0200

Barney Wolff wrote:

You're looking at the wrong number.  The Birthday Paradox means that
*if you have 2^64 things* you've got about a 50:50 chance of finding two
that hash to the same value.  But you still have to look at about
2^127 things to find one with a hash equal to a desired one.  You're
much wiser to attack the password itself than MD5.

Now, I don't have my copy of Applied Cryptography ready, but isn't 50:50
chance much too high? If I remember correctly it is more in the lines of:
birthday attacks are possible, just not very likely, but finding something
that hashes to the same value as a specific text/password is next to
impossible ( very hard ).

Yes/No/Maybe?

---
  Miha Vitorovic