Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Code review/audit and/or version control

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 09:56:39 +0800

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

If you are doing version control, you have access to previous versions
and the commentary from when it was checked in.  Just as with in-line
comments, the version control comments have to be MEANINGFUL, not just
"made changes."!!!

ISTM that the old versions can be used to good advantage in two ways:

(1) New version introduces greater and unforeseen (of course!) security
problem; quickly get out old version with known but lesser security
problem, and also re-install whatever shim we had used to work around
the security problem until the "fixed" version was installed.

OK.  You got me there.  I didn't say exactly what I was thinking.  I had
in mind two scenarios . . . one where, say, a format string bug or a
memory leak was fixed . . . and nothing else was broken in the process
;->, and the other where there is parallel development going on and a
bug gets fixed in one branch but then overwritten when a patch/hotfix is
created.  What I'm concerned about here is a breakdown in process . . .
not a valid reason to roll back a change . . .

(2) Determine that the neat new way to do something has already been
tried, and read the MEANINGFUL version control comments to determine
why it was removed from service!

Absolutely!

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B