Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Newbie VPN setup/configuration question

From: Kathy Bieltz <kbieltz () hal-pc org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:10:01 -0500

Hi,

My husband's work has installed a SonicWALL firewall,
previously they were using a Linux system for their firewall.

My husband was previously able to log into work via our
DSL connection at home through a hole in the firewall
set up for his static IP.

The new sys admin would like us to ideally get a SonicWALL
firewall with VPN tunneling at home so we could use a VPN
connection to get into work. But I'd like to avoid spending
the money if possible.

At home we have an SMC7004ABR Barricade router
that is capable of VPN pass through.  Is it possible to
set up some VPN software on the Linux box my husband
uses at home to launch a VPN connection with his work.
The other PC's on our home network would still use
TCP/IP and I'd like to use TCP/IP on my husband's
Linux box when he is not logged into his work to surf
the net and download updates to his operating system?

Is this possible?  If so pointer's to documents and VPN
software that would allow me to do this would be
appreciated.

Thanks!
Kathy Bieltz