Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Opinions on the security of antivirus software

From: bill earley <bearley () houston rr com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:52:46 -0500

Comments Inline

- ------Question---------

On Saturday 06 July 2002 01:45 am, you wrote:
Of course there was a recent thread on pgp signatures and e-mail in which
it was mentioned that few folks actually check the signature keys within

- -------answer--------------

This, just like every security issue, depends on how seriously the responsible
parties take security. I can safely say that every signed email is checked at
least to the point of knowing if it is a good or bad known sig or an unknown
or untrusted sig. Then depending on how important it is that the unknown /
untrusted sig be known and trusted then the key gets verified. An example
would be this mailing list; I get several signed messaghes that show up as
unknown / untrusted, but, since it is not critical info then there is no need
to verify the sigs.  Business communications are all verified and if one
shows up unknown or untrusted then flags go up all over the place. Sensitive
or critical info is also encrypted not just signed.

- -------Question--------------

those signed messages they get.  The quetion I pose here then is, how many
actually check the pgp signatures, or even md5 checksums on all the code
they scarf up off the net?  Of course, if I recall correctly also, when

- ------answer--------------

I can only offer the one vote for here, but, that is the royal "one" meaning
everybody here.

- ------Question--------------

monkey.org was compromised recently and trojaned ode placed there, were
not the md5 checksums also altered to make the trojaned code appear valid?

- ------answer--------------

True, but, md5 checksums are a simple hash of file size and bit order meant to
verify a "clean" transmission and not really meant to verify authenticity of
the file, only that the file received is a binary duplicate of the original.
Theoretically it could be used to verify the file if the files author
provided a copy of the md5sum to you, when the file was authored, that you
held seperate and used to verify against the target file. That would require
knowing who would be accessing the file and providing them with the md5sum at
the time the file was created. Much simpler to sign it with pgp or gpg.

- ------Question--------------

If a site is compromised using pgp signatures, how much of an issue would
it be to alter then also?

- ------answer----------------

Several orders of magnitude harder, because they would have to either get the
authors "keys" to sign the file with (probably located on another box) or
compromise my copies of the authors keys (definitely on another box.). As
well as compromising the keyservers that I would use to verify the keys if
anything showed as suspicious.

- -----free response-------

Long response I know, but, I hope it gives some insight.  As always it depends
on the individual's attention to detail and how seriously security is taken.
MUA's can be set to take advantage of encryption and sig.s and several
companies now "sign" their software packages. It does involve a little more
effort, but, in my opinion it's well worth it.

- ----- snipped --- old ---- text -------

Bill Earley