Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Feedback on IPFW

From: ajk () iu edu (Andrew J. Korty)
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:20:20 -0500

"Ripper Roo" <ripper_roo1 () hotmail com> writes:

I am currently evaluating FreeBSD(4.4)/IPFW and would like to receive
feedback from experimented users, so good news and bad news are very
welcomed.

I used ipfw with FreeBSD 4.2 and had problems making stateful TCP
rules in ipfw work with natd since natd and ipfw don't seem to share
state data.  Maybe that problem is fixed in 4.4.  I switched to IP
Filter[1], which is also bundled with FreeBSD, and found I preferred
it.

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/

--
Andrew J. Korty, Principal Security Engineer, GCIA
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology