Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Shomiti Taps, Cisco Port Mirroring and IDS

From: Don Ng <sayhockng () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 00:10:33 -0800 (PST)

 Hello John, the following case is where the firewall
is connected directly to the external router. So there
was no switches that could be used to carry out
Spanning. So I was looking at how to use taps.
 The only reason to use taps instead of hubs is to
ensure that when there is a power failure, the normal
traffic can still pass thorugh.
 Though I could get an UPS for the HUB :)

Thanks
Don

--- John Adams <jna () retina net> wrote:

I don't understand why you would ever need one of
these devices if you
have the two switches on a VLAN and you have a span
port enabled.

On the other hand, if you think you need another
hub, perhaps you could
use two crossover cables in and out of the tap?

-john