Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Whitepaper: a closer look on what goes on behind the scene during the setup of a IPSec remote access VPN

From: Christopher Lee <complexity () bigfoot com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:39:27 -0500

To the member of the Firewall-Wizards list,

Throughout this Christmas/New Year holidays, I finished reading a few InfoSec
related books and I find myself ending up with more questions than answers.  I
mean, how does the two phase IPSec key exchange really works (packet by packet,
that is)...  I mean, how does IPSec guard against replaying attack, or more
fundamentally, how do I know if my login credentials are safe when the firewall
is doing an Aggressive Mode key exchange (no encryption takes place during an
aggressive mode key exchange)??

So I then do my own research, base only on documents on the IETF websites (a
reliable source, I supposed) and the result of my own sniffer trace of a IPSec
remote access VPN session, and come up with this little white paper on what
goes on behind the scene during a IPSec VPN setup.  I figure, the best way to
make sure I understands a technologies correctly is to post my finding on the
web and invite others to critique and comment upon.

While the example in this white paper is that of a CheckPoint VPN, but its
principle should conver IPSec VPN in general.  Please take a look at this paper
when you get a chance and do drop me a line (and tell me how wrong I am about
the subject).  :-)

This white paper is posted on
http://complexity.webhop.net/closer_look_at_IPSec.html

Regards,

Christopher Lee
PGP Fingerprint: 15C1 65D0 E051 C64D 5246  89FC 5AE3 DE2C 8F1E 89A7
Personal Web Page: http://complexity.webhop.net