Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Legal Liability under 1986 ECPA

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:05:14 -0500

In message <3C5597DF.6FAC747 () pmc-sierra com>, Jeff Newton writes:

I'm pushing my company to require a signed AUP, rather than simply
posting the security policy on their intranet.  I was hoping to cite
specific court cases to management illustrating the consequences of not
obtaining employee signage.

Administrators, managment, and security analysts have supposedly been
held liable for scanning/sniffing,etc actions if employee permission
isn't first obtained as per the 1986 Electronic Communications Privacy
Act.

Does anyone have specific case references?

It's a complex question with minimal case law.  I included the
information I could find in Chapter 12 of "Firewalls and Internet
Security" (see the URL below), but there's no clear answer.  The
Justice Department does recommend a warning banner, but the legal
need is shakey.  This is especially true for corporate nets, where the
entire net and the computers on it are owned by the company, and the
legislative history of the ECPA clearly shows that Congress did not
intend to protect employees in that situation.

That said, ask a lawyer.

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com