Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Morris worm to Nimda, how little we've learned or gained

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:59:14 -0500

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:44:55PM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

| I can tell you a few of the indicators that I'm looking for which will indicate
| that progress is about to be made in security:
| 1) The first time a company goes public and becomes huge based on the
|         premise that their software is super-high-quality.
| 2) The first time an operating system ships that doesn't need to have all
|         its software installed with system privileges to function
| 3) The first time customers place and enforce a puchase ban on a software
|         product notorious for insecurity and unreliability
| 4) The first time that ISPs act together to ban an application from their
|         backbone(s)
| 5) The first successful class-action lawsuit over software quality encompassing
|         security

Nice essay.

Can I offer 6) The first time security gets more (combined) federal
and venture research money than networking?

Adam

http://www.internet2.edu/html/faqs.html:
Internet2 universities have committed over $80 million per year in
new investments on their own campuses and corporate members have
committed more than $30 million over the life of the project. In
addition, Internet2 member institutions may receive funding in the
form of competitively awarded grants from the NSF and other federal
agencies participating in the federal Next Generation Internet
initiative.

--
                                                       -Hume