Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Alteon DNS server

From: Pierre-Yves Bonnetain <bonnetain () acm org>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:46:11 +0100

   Hello,

   I'm currently investigating the use of Alteon "switches" to enhance
high
availability for a web system. The customer would like to use the GSLB
(global
server load balancing) to spread load not only between his local
computer, but
also between several sites, and this is done through a DNS server
included in
the Altéon OS.
   This DNS server speaks with other Alteon switches on other
geographical
sites and, following user-defined criterions, gives back "the best IP"
for
the requested name. Best being geographical proximity, speed, current
load
or anything that way.
   Does anyone have any experience on this specific DNS server ? Is it
reliable (my nightmare : DNS take-over) ? Is it easy to set up and
administer ? Is it secure ?
   Thanks,

-- Pierre-Yves Bonnetain
   Consultant Sécurité -- B&A Consultants
   Tél +33 (0) 563 277 241 -- Fax +33 (0) 563 277 245