Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ruleset Auditing and Validation

From: Tony Howlett <thowlett () netsecuritysvcs com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:35:27 -0600

The Center for Internet Security (www.cisecurity.org) just released a router auditing tool (RAT). Its pretty neat and very useful for automating checking router configs (only Cisco right now) to make sure they meet a minimum requirement. What does this have to do with Firewalls? Well its open source and written in Perl so if you have some programing staffl, it wouldnt be that hard to modify the script to look at your firewall config files and spit out a report. Ive looked at the code and its seem the file fetching and reading and reporting aspects would be quite reusable. This would also make a great project for someone looking to gain some prestige in the community. Im thinking of doing it myself for some of the firewalls i work with (Sonicwall and netscreen mostly) when i get some free time.

Good luck!