Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OWA and Risk Assesment

From: Achim Dreyer <adreyer () math uni-paderborn de>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:57:06 +0100 (MET)

Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:45:52 -0600 (CST)
From: kronos () datastreamcowboys net
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: [fw-wiz] [iso-8859-1] OWA and Risk Assesment

Having delt with Exchange the OWA portion can be a nightmare to lockdown. I
have to admitt when my boss decided to go with Citrix and Win RDP my life
got simpler with this issue, Because it ment i only had to have Win RDP and
ICA ports open. I wouldnt want to firewall a OWA set up with a IPtables or
Netfilter set up. The Checkpoint and the like is the way to go.

I don't quite understand:

   Are you really saying that letting RDP/ICA in is safer than OWA ?

   Or just that it's easier to maintain..

btw: Does anybody know of any ICA ord RDP proxy application ?

Regards,
Achim Dreyer
--
A. Dreyer, Senior SysAdmin (UNIX&Network) / Internet Security Consultant