Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls and 802.1q trunking

From: t <miedaner () twcny rr com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:11:08 -0500

I like to say you that I can grab an employee by the collar and make him
stop what he is doing or prosecute.  It is very difficult for anyone to
track down someone in russia, china, libya, etc.  The anonymity and lack of
accounting on the other end makes the internet a dangerous game.

"Marcus J. Ranum" wrote:

Steve Evans wrote:
And can you say that the traffic coming from the internet is the most
dangerous traffic on the network.  I've always understood that the vast
majority of the attacks come from the inside.

The "80% of attacks come from the inside" statistic that
has been broadly quoted by INFOSEC practitioners is, as far
as I can tell, completely made up. In fact, the shocking
results of a recent study revealed that 99.5% of statistics
regarding Internet Security are made up, or otherwise based
on flawed assumptions.*

If it _were_ a real statistic it'd have had to take into
account some interesting questions:
        - What percentage of "attacks" did damage?
        - Were the "attacks" counted as "successful attacks" or did
                probes count as well?
        - Is a Nessus scan an "attack"?
        - Does an "attack" like a Nessus scan (if counted as an attack)
                count as one "attack" or as "N attacks" where N is the
                number of discrete tests attempted?
        - How many "attacks" does a Code Red worm launch? 1? 25?
                What about a mass-rooter? Does a "cluster attack"
                count as a single attack or a multiple attack.
        - Does a scan of a subnet count as 255 hosts attacked? Or
                255 * number of ports scanned? Or what?
        - Is a virus an "attack"?

        What I think the people who made that saying up were trying to
do was get people to keep a balanced perspective on the relative
insider/outsider threat. But making up bullsh@+ is not the way to
do it. The way to do it is to point out that, as an enterprise
grows, the personnel perimeter grows with it, and sooner or later
you'll have a Bad Guy on the inside. And, it's probably a safe bet,
a Bad Guy on the inside will have a higher level of access, a
lower level of audit, and a greater knowledge of where the goodies
are - and will be accordingly more dangerous. Will they be 80% dangerous
to the Internet script-kiddy's 20%? It's silly to put a number on
it.

        If you're out in the jungle someplace, do you worry
more about a tiger, or a bacterium? The wise man worries about
both! :)

mjr.
(* Poll source: I asked my horse. He appeared dubious.)
---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com