Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: MD5 x SHA-1

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 22:07:57 -0500

I once did a comparison of MD5 versus SHA1 when generating checksums of binaries before backing them up.
Our policy was to calculate a cryptographic checksum has of every file in backup, put that on backup tape, then the
backup ufsdump. Saved our bacon several times when we could trace back to exactly when a file was corrupted.

MD5 is about 50% faster than SHA1, but as others have said SHA1 is considered more secure.
Basically there is a greater chance of an attacker being able to add nonce bytes to a modified file to get same hash
with MD5 than SHA1 (SHA1 uses more widely distributed bytes to generate the hash).
  But the modifications that allow one to spoof the hash are generally computationally difficult to calculate and
modify the file in other obvious ways (file size, in particular).