Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Wireless

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:17:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Carl Friedberg wrote:

Paul,

An easy starting point (very easy to use, and very low cost) is to buy
an Orinoco Gold card, put it in a laptop, and get netstumbler
(www.netstumbler.org).

Actually, I've got two Lucent Gold cards, I just think my wireless credit
limit is about to be used up in enterprise environments ;)

If you can afford it, go with Cisco. They have some excellent white
papers (as usual) describing the Cisco add-ons which will make it much
harder to get rogue ap's and/or PC Cards connecting to your network.
They use techniques like rekeying with every packet, etc. Cisco is
working on various techniques which integrate this to an enterprise,
including Radius, etc.

Right, but that doesn't help with the rogue connection issue- which is to
me the larger risk (it's pretty easy to get someone to do sanctioned
wireless correctly- it's much more difficult to stop unsanctioned
activity.)

Some noteworthy points about WiFi:

This is a good and useful list, so I'll just annotate it a bit...

(1) all forms of WEP have been cracked; and the software to do that is
easily available;

Counterpoint: That doesn't mean you shouldn't enable it.

(2) WiFi is radio, so 802.11a has higher bandwidth and shorter range
than 802.11b. 802.11b can/will interfer with other devices on the same
frequence band, such as newer portable phones, some microwaves, and
potentially (though they deny it) Blue Tooth.

I thought I saw something on /. last month about lightbulbs that could
cause problems in a pretty large area (I tend to worry more about
signal-based DoS attacks than most.)

(3) WiFi uses half duplex, so it is a shared collision domain, just like
the old days of 10mbps and hubs. The more users on an AP, the less
bandwidth each can get.

(4) Any allowed access points should be on their own subnet, and in
their own security domain.

(5) Most illicit installations have "out of the box" settings, typically
the password, ip settings, and lack of encryption. That makes it easy to
take control of the rogue AP and potentially completely disable it
(i.e., change admin password and IPrange, disable wireless, disable
DHCP, etc).

In a metro area though, that AP may not be "yours," making such things not
the best thing to disable.  Think 1/2 a floor in Manhattan for "wireless
nightmare scenerio."

(6) WiFi is radio. You could get fancy and try to triangulate to find
out where it is, but that is getting more expensive.

I'm not sure it's all that expensive- I just don't know how practical it
is in an environment where there is heavy legitimage usage.

Thanks,

Paul