Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Messages

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, DS wrote:

Ohh I thought you had it hehe, but that is commented out :) Oh have

He might have it anyway from klogd's man page:

       The klogd daemon also allows the ability to alter the pre­
       sentation  of kernel messages to the system console.  Con­
       sequent with the prioritization of kernel messages was the
       inclusion  of default messaging levels for the kernel.  In
       a stock kernel the the default console log level is set to
       7.   Any  messages with a priority level numerically lower
       than 7 (higher priority) appear on the console.

When  -c is given on the commandline the klogd daemon will
       execute a system call to inhibit all kernel messages  from
       being  displayed  on  the console.  Former versions always
       issued this system call and defaulted to all  kernel  mes­
       sages  except  for  panics.   This  is handled differently
       nowardays so klogd doesn't need to set this value anymore.
       The argument given to the -c switch specifies the priority
       level of messages which will be directed to  the  console.
       Note  that  messages  of  a  priority value LOWER than the
       indicated number will be directed to the console.

              For example, to have the kernel  display  all  mes­
              sages with a priority level of 3 (KERN_ERR) or more
              severe the following command would be executed:

                   klogd -c 4

recieved messages asking if I have the /var/log/messages file there
before the service started, answer is yes. I just recently updated to RH
7.3 so I will see if I still get them on the console with the new OS.

In RedHat, the klogd options are set in:

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S12syslog

Paul