Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: "Michael A. Williams" <mike () netxsecure net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 19:59:13 +1200

Carson Gaspar wrote:

--On Thursday, August 01, 2002 6:42 PM -0700 "Stephen P. Berry"
<spb () meshuggeneh net> wrote:

In short, if you're interested in securing the box, you're either already
doing much of the work required to come up with a minimal install or
you're not actually securing it.

No. Doing an basic application security analysis does not require doing the
full filesystem dependency analysis. And in reality, doing so is not
possible, as you cannot know all the dependencies in a closed-source
product unless you can fully excercise all functions.

Unfortunately our software kernel patches are not available for a closed
source environment, for the *bsd systems that they are available for and
the chosen OS version running below secure level two (our warning versus
deny stance) the 'full filesystem dependency analysis' is achieved via
syslog warnings, add as desired to the signature database and repeat
until a signature database to suit the intended requirement is created
then move the system to secure level two, check and then once the
signature database is final either burn to CD or gzip for distribution.

I guess we fall into the minimal install category with our signed_exec
and signature database build requirements, so far we support only a very
small number of boxen across two OS's with several versions of each.

Any attacker with half a brain can install any tool he wants on the box,
once he's on the box. Yes, having a compiler installed makes his life
easier. But not having one doesn't stop him. It may indeed slow him down.
So would running VMS.

This specifically is what our trojanproof.org signed_exec kernel patches
are attempting to stop.

All the arguments for having a minimal install involve "raising the bar"
and making an attacker's life more difficult. But it also makes the admin's
life more difficult, in a real and monetarily measurable sense. And doesn't
prevent a determined attacker from doing anything.

Yes 'makes the admin's life more difficult, in a real and monetarily
measurable sense' is definitely true with our signed_exec implementation
however we are at least 'making an attacker's life more difficult'.

--

Mike.