Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Synchronizing public web server and samba

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:28:29 -0600

I have what cannot be too unusual a situation, but I cannot seem to find the "best" solution. I have an internal network behind a firewall and on that network is a Samba server acting as a PDC for a group of workstations. In a classic DMZ outside the firewall behind the router is a web server. The users on the Samba server waant to have individual areas on the www server to post content. I can do the Apache work no problem. What I want is to make it as easy for them to publish as possible, while minimizing the administration and trying to have good security as this is a school. I've considered scp and ssh, but that requires duplicating the accounts and quotas on the web server. That's doable, but hard to automate, AFAIK. If the web server were 100% for internal use, I'd just automount the student directories and share out each one's http-public or whatever. The problem is that I don't necessarily trust file sharing through a fw.

Any ideas?
--john
--
John McDermott