Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comme nts?

From: "Frank Darden" <fdarden () locked com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:08:49 -0400

I will add my 2 cents on the Netscreen side. I recently became aware of
serius weaknesses in the Netscreen product. I have a paper which
outlines the issues and problems with the Netscreen firewall. If your
choice is between Check Point or Netscreen, I would strongly urge you to
read the information below carefully. Please send your
comments/questions my way.

Frank

Basically what it boils down to with Netscreen is the following

All NetScreen appliances rely on custom-designed ASICs (Application
Specific Integrated Circuits) for security policy enforcement.
Appliances cannot be field upgraded to accommodate new or additional
ASIC devices.

Each NetScreen ASIC is limited to the size of security policy it can
support.  Once customers reach this limit they are unable to expand
their security policy to meet future needs.  The NetScreen appliance
continues to function, but no additional rules can be added to the
policy.

NetScreen is aware of this limitation and provides a utility for
customers to check the remaining capacity of the ASIC before hitting the
limit.  NetScreen's recommended resolution is to either redesign the
security policy to meet the unique constraints of the NetScreen
appliance or upgrade to a more expensive NetScreen product as well as
pay for the software license again.

NetScreen customers are adversely affected by this design constraint.
There are no other known security/VPN products in the market that have
inherent limitations to the size of policy that can be defined and
enforced.

Problem Details:
Each NetScreen ASIC (i.e. MegaScreen, GigaScreen and GigaScreen II)
supports a finite number of "rules" or "policies" (N). If the addition
of a single rule beyond the hard limit is attempted (N+1), the NetScreen
device operator sees the following error message:

"The Maximum Number of ASIC rules has been reached. Cannot add this
policy"

At that point the operator cannot add any more rules to the security
policy. This limitation restricts granular access control and,
therefore, the security of the network.

Term definition:

ASIC Rules

NetScreen uses the terms "policies", "rules" and "ASIC rules" somewhat
interchangeably. An ASIC rule is defined by the following equation:
(reference from NetScreen support site provided at end of this document)

#Asic rules = #source addresses * #destination addresses * #services

Note that the number of ASIC rules consumed is not the sum of individual
objects, but the product of those objects used in a rule.  This has the
effect of consuming the finite number of ASIC rules rapidly.

Groups

The terms "Grouping" and "Groups" refer to a NetScreen feature by which
several servers or gateways (e.g. individually defined web servers or
branch office locations) and services (e.g. FTP, FTP get, FTP put) are
joined to one logical name, for instance "Web Servers", "Branch Offices"
or "FTP Services". It is common for security administrators to group
like objects to facilitate the definition of security rules.

For example, an object may be created that includes all company web
servers.  The security administrator can use this object when defining
the security policy, rather than including separate security rules for
each web server.  This useful feature makes the creation and subsequent
editing of security rules more efficient.

Surprisingly, the use of groups in a NetScreen policy results in FEWER
ASIC rules being available to the security administrator.  Although the
use of group objects provides efficiency to the administrator, it
rapidly exhausts the number of ASIC rules available to NetScreen
customers.

A practical example

The NetScreen 100 has a rule limit 733 applying to traffic originating
from an external interface (Internet) to the Demiliterized Zone (DMZ).

The following is a NetScreen rule base showing a group of 10 branch
offices granted access to mail, FTP and web-based services hosted by 10
separate servers located on a company's DMZ.

The service groups have been defined as follow:
Web and FTP Services: HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTP-Get, FTP-Put
Mail Group: SMTP, POP3, IMAP, HTTPS
Teleconferencing Services: H.323, NetMeeting

All other services are pre-defined within the NetScreen device. The
rulebase as shown uses 732 ASIC rules.

At this point, the device will not allow the addition of any more rules
no matter how simple. Adding another branch office or trying to give
remote access VPN users access to the DMZ, yields the following message:

NetScreen Response to Customers

Recently NetScreen acknowledged the policy limitation in a mailing to
partners. The Company contends that the security policy limits will not
affect customers as long as the right device is selected for the
application. This is a highly unconventional design approach. Since
granular access control translates to degree of security, imposing
limits on the number of rules is effectively restricting security for
any size deployment. The restriction also requires that customers and
resellers be aware of the ASIC limits per platform before purchasing, so
that they can perform the complex calculations which would guide product
selection. Assuming that this is even feasible given an existing
security policy, it is not an approach which accounts for network growth
or expansion.

NetScreen has implicitly admitted this by promising to extend the limits
in a future release. It is clear however, that since the limits are tied
to the ASIC type that these restrictions will always be imposed. It is
also likely that extending the limits may affect the advertised
performance of the devices since according to the company:

"What is important is that a NetScreen device with it's ASIC-based
security acceleration functions, can maintain predictably high
performance at the indicated policy count levels."
(excerpt from NetScreen channel partner mailing)

NetScreen Technical Support Posting

-----
----

DOC #:  549