Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: Barney Wolff <barney () tp databus com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:47:11 -0400

Guys, this is taking principle (my email is not worth protecting)
to ridiculous lengths.  We all know how easy it is to do protected
email - either openwebmail over https or imap over tunneled over
ssh, or any of the other ways.  Your email may not be worth protecting,
but wouldn't you get tired of explaining why you didn't care that the
script kiddie sent that obscene email from your account?

99% of corporate email is not worth protecting either, but the
reputation of the corporation is, and the newspaper article will not
mention that the intercepted email was harmless.

A "recognized security expert" is going to be a target.  Price of fame,
and all that.  Would you trust an overweight cardiologist?