Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: GIDS, Intrusion Prevention: A Firewall by Any Other Name

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:37:14 -0400

Crispin Harris wrote:
Poorly implemented, this model would llow for megalithic, bloated code, with
far too much occuring on one system. This would also lead to performance
issues. :-(

Traditionally, the model I presented is implemented by acquisition:
a company specializing in one aspect of the system I outlined buys
another company specializing in another aspect, then tries to tie
the code together with spit, duct tape, and glue. The results make
"bloated code" look pretty by comparison. ;)

mjr.

---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com