Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPN Devices

From: acs <springer_0 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:38:39 -0700 (PDT)

I have used all three of the devices I mentioned.

I did not want to bad mouth Nortel.  But to offset
your glowing review.

The troughput is not good compared to the others I
mentioned.  The things are low end pcs running
VXworks.
Your load is on the big model, yes?  That thing costs.

The client has clobberd many folks 98 machines IP
stacks.  The gui gets very tiresome for COs with large
user bases, in fact it becomes so slow it is almost
unusable.  Nortel support leaves much to be desired.

Getting the ipsec traffic out from where it is (behind
firewalls often) is more and more difficult due to
technology (NAT) and policy.

We have a bunch of the big nortels and a growing
number of the infoexpress servers.  The infoexpress is
not cheap or perfect but it is getting much more use.
Getting out from behind NAT and proxies plus the
linux,
solaris, windows and mac clients are making it the
winner.

For speed, price and pure windows ipsec, netscreen
beats Nortel.  In fact, the client even does client to
client tunnels.

acs

--- Patrick Darden <darden () armc org> wrote:

Nortel's Contivity Extranet Switches are fantastic.
Great
interoperability with other VPN devices, especially
wrt IPSEC.  Stable
like a rock.  Reliable.  Excellent Client that has
caused us No problems
whatsoever.  We are very happy in every way.

Throughput is middle of the road.  We have 3 T-1s so
we are not pushing
our switch at all.  IPSEC 3DES Md5, 1000
simultaneous tunnels, 22 branch
offices, 350 doctors, and miscellaneous other mobile
employees.

There are other great solutions out there,
expecially if you want to roll
your own, but I haven't run into any other packages
so well thought out
and that cause so little administrative overhead.

--
--Patrick Darden                Internetworking
Manager