Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [fw-wiz] NAT with multiple addresses.

From: "Skip Frizzell" <skip () blindpanic com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:35:21 -0400 (EDT)

if you intend to leave each machine on it's own number then you might
better use a bridging firewall and not bother with NAT. I don't do much IRC
so having everyone NAT of one IP is no concern to me.

(can someone explain why this might be a problem?)

this way each station has it's own public IP, but you still have access
control and logging. a best solution might be to have your web and FTP
served through an application proxy and only allow out the things that ONLY
work through direct connection.

you have a classic service vs security quandry. g'luck.

     -=Skip

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/Bridge+Firewall+DSL.html

I am trying to install a firewall in an extremely
weird network connection to the Internet, and I was
wondering if there was someone willing to help me out.