Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

anonymous telnet

From: hermit1 <hermits () mac com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:12:29 -0700

I have been asked for advice on how to do anonymous telnet to a server here; the client could be anywhere. There is a need to provide access from character-only terminals. Upon establishing the telnet session, a perl script is supposed to run automatically. No, they didn't explain how they expect a perl script to run without a user ID. The perl script will accept strings of text and create queries to run against another system. After I got over my bout of speechlessness I tried to explain why it isn't feasible.

Here are the major points I have. Comments on any or all of this is welcome, corrections especially welcome.

I refuse to customize the telnetd binary, the only way I know of to eliminate the need for a user ID. I suspect changing some PAM configuration might do it, but I don't want to try that, either.

If I use the perl script instead of the shell in /etc/passwd, any successful attempt to break out of the script into a shell should instead log the user off the computer. Is there a known way to break this?

Unless the strings accepted by the perl script are very carefully validated, I assume that escape characters would allow the user to issue system commands. I like the idea of rback from trusted solaris, but the system is Solaris 7, not 8. Restricted shell would probably help, but I know little about it.

I would prefer that the developers would create their own telnet server combined with the perl script, and I could have this run out of inetd on port 23. I don't think altering one of the open source telnet servers to [1. not require a login, and 2. automatically pass all input to the perl script] would be difficult, and it is probably the safest way to meet their goal.

Comments?  Laughter?

Thanks
hermit1