Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: SSL

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:26:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Bruce Platt wrote:

The window.open delivers the infected mail message which if one's Outlook is
vulnerable ...

But if you're using HTTP/HTTPS, the window.open causes a GET request for
readme.eml from the server.  That's the crux of the problem that Gary
seems worried about.  The Outlook issue is a client->client infection-
and I don't think Gary is worried about encrypted e-mail at this
point, the IE issue is server->client.  If IE is vulnerable, you can still
stop the window.open's download of the infected EML file since the
sequence is (server:infected html/asp)->(client:infected eml) the
window.open causes a GET from IE which is blockable in both the HTTP and
HTTPS cases if your proxy allows URI filtering.

Paul