Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

throughput questions

From: "Zill, Greg" <Greg.Zill () owh com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:08:55 -0500

I have just recently implemented two Raptor 6.5 firewalls on Solaris and
have noticed considerable throughput degradation compared to an external
download of same file. Firewall is a Sun e250 with twin 450 cpu, 512
real memory and 950 m swap. I have used a Dell 2450 connected behind the
firewall into an internal hub and a small workstation connected to the
external hub without a firewall to download the same file from the same
website sizing about 1 meg. The internal machine averages 54 KB/sec as
calculated by the download meter. The external machine averages 114
KB/sec as calculated by the doanload meter. Both internal and external
client machines are Win2k using IIS 5.5 and executing a web link for
file download. Application scanning was temporarily deactivated on the
firewall rule pertaining to http traffic. Can someone shed some light on
where/how I might be able to recapture some of the throughput I am
desperately missing. Thanks in advance.

gregory w zill, mba
Firewall Administrator
Omaha World Herald Company