Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: source port specific port scan

From: "robert_david_graham" <robert_david_graham () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:29:00 -0700

Spoofing of the source port is common in both scanners and exploit scripts.
The two most popular source ports are 53 (dns) and 20 (ftp-data). Tools like
"ADMfzap" and "firewalk" take advantage of this directly, but other scanners
often include configuring the source port as an option. A number of exploits
scripts use these as source ports by default.

The reason, of course, is that a lot of legitimate incoming DNS requests and
connections come from port 20. If I remember correctly, last year at
BlackHat, some people pointed out that some versions of Checkpoint make it
really easy for admins to make a mistake and trust anything from port 53
(dns).

Actually, I am surprised how little hackers are taking advantage of this.
This is still a wide-open hole throughout the Internet.

As for you case, yes, somebody could spoof an ACK scan from port 25. It's
not a huge hole; I doubt that no one (except the extreme paranoid) would
worry about it, especially since you are blocking incoming SYNs/no-ACK from
port 25 (aren't you?).