Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Sniffing out a firewall problem

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 21:38:39 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Peter Lukas wrote:

You'll get some pretty useful stats. Typically, any system with Ierrs,
Oerrs or Collis will be experiencing a problem. Check caples, duplex
settings and of course, the card /switch port itself.

Please be careful about making blanket statements about collisions
automatically meaning problems.  On any connection that is supposed to be
half-duplex Ethernet-style, collisions are perfectly normal, and you have
to measure collisions against total traffic to even have a rudimentary
problem measurement.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.  When I used to be primarily a network
engineer, I would have systems administrators come to me and report that
the system was reporting collisions, please fix the network.  I'd reply
that it was running half-duplex.  <blank stare>

                                        Ryan