Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Fwd: network problem...?

From: "Chuck Swiger" <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:10:10 -0400

Hi, all--

Here's the email audit trail of a denial-of-service attack from a system at
Princeton, which occurred yesterday evening.

We're using a multihomed FreeBSD 3.4 system as our firewall, which is
explicitly configured to block traffic to our network broadcast addresses,
and it did it's job-- our internal machines were completely unaffected.
Regrettably, the machines on our external network were so badly
network-fugued out that I couldn't keep an SSH connection alive long enough
to run snoop, so I couldn't capture packets for forensic analysis.

I'd like to do better in the future.

The upstream router managed by our ISP (AT&T) does implement a reasonable
degree of packet filtering for our external subnet as well as blocking
spoofed internal addresses.  However, I'm considering creating an external
subnet containing only the external interfaces of firewalls and our ISP's
ethernet interface, with no other machines there, so that I can achieve
better control over traffic.  Any thoughts about this network architecture
would be of interest to me.  :-)

However, what I'd really like to have is a firewall box which snoops all
network traffic to a large local disk buffer in a FIFO fashion so that I can
always look at what was going on.  Can anyone recommend a solution?

[ Of course, something based on free tools and FreeBSD or OpenBSD would be
great, but I'm willing to spend money, too. ]

Thanks,
-Chuck

Begin forwarded message: