Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SOAP/XML Protocol and filtering, etc.

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot () akamai com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:42:43 -0700

Darren and all,

Thanks for the comments. Please keep them coming.

I tend to think of SOAPAction this way, recently;

A malicious user cooperating with an external server can easily work
to get arbitrary messages through a firewall or proxy that allows
HTTP to pass through. This possibility is independent of SOAP; while
they might use SOAP toolkits for convenience, they could just as
easily modify them, or cook them up separately.

So, SOAPAction is useless in terms of stopping or detecting malicious
users. However, it *may* provide value in that it can be used to
enforce policy.

For example, a company may decide that it doesn't
want purchase orders to be sent by SOAP, but doesn't mind other
services, like stock quotes. If option #2 were implemented, it could
block any messages with a SOAPAction containing the namespace URI of
known purchase order messages.

The questions that this brings up, then, are:
  - does this offer significant value over traditional URI filtering?
  - does it cause more harm than good because people will think of it
    as a security mechanism?

Re: DTD - I think you mean valid, not well-formed. I'm not sure what
value this would add, except to get errors back more quickly ;)

AFAIK, I don't think there can be a DTD for SOAP documents, because
they're not strictly valid; they contain tags from a number of
namespaces, and are dynamically constructed from modules (what we're
calling 'blocks' now).

Cheers,