Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered Harmful

From: Ben Nagy <ben.nagy () marconi com au>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:00:52 +1000

OK, I'll bite.

I'm mainly of the opinion that ECN is experimental, and sends
non-RFC-compliant datagrams. I think that any firewalls that pass ECN
enabled TCP without being explicitly configured to do so aren't doing their
job properly.

I think your reading of the RFC is flawed, by the way. RFC 793 does NOT
"explicitly forbid" sending RSTs in response to malformed packets. A RST is
the appropriate response from a "CLOSED" TCP listener. I think it's quite
understandable that a firewall chooses to treat ports as closed for
malformed packets.

Having said that, maybe you should suggest a more appropriate firewall
response? IMHO (and I'm no RFC guru) I'd say that discarding the packet and
sending an ICMP parameter problem  error might be more informative. That
will still abort your prospective TCP connection, though. Would the ECN TCP
stacks cope better with this?

For the time being, though, wouldn't it be better to make ECN
implementations deal with TCP RSTs (as in try and resend in non-ECN mode)?
Once ECN becomes an RFC and those reserved bits get "officially" assigned,
people are much more likely to be sympathetic. If an experimental protocol
needs to break the RFCs for it to work, then don't whine when it doesn't.
What part of MUST BE ZERO isn't clear? ;)

Cheers,

--
Ben Nagy
Devil's Advocate